- calendar says June
- sun is still up for about an hour and a half of my work night when it used to be pitch black when I left
- people are going to the pool at our apartment complex
- bright colored clothing is being sold at stores
| Andre, Laura the IU grad, and me. I brought a cardigan to wear that day pshhhhh. My pale skin was burning. |
You may be saying, "but wait you said above that people are going to the pool." Yep in 60 degree weather they are going to the pool, and I see their point. If it's not going to be non-summery weather, PRETEND! Tom and I have been pretending. I bought shorts and cropped pants last week (chuckle and put those in an inconvenient place in the closet). Tom has been wearing shorts when they are clearly not warranted and he knows it. Our biggest example of pretending that it is not inappropriately cool for summer things is our gardening trial.
Like I've mentioned before people, just because the weather doesn't warrant it, doesn't mean that different things are in the stores during these seasonable times. Like mentioned before, summer clothes are taunting us, swim suits are taunting us, and the supplies to have homegrown tomatoes/peppers/herbs in our very own little pots taunted us about two months ago. We got seeds, we got the little starter pods, and we made ourselves an indoor starter garden in April. Appropriate, right? After planted, Tom runs around the apartment with them trying to get the most light (I'd find them in a different place all the time), he googles what to do with them when they get a little white film on them, he spots water on them when they get dry. He does them well. I mainly make fun of him until he reminds me that if it were up to me they would most certainly be dead. Out of laziness we had left them in those little pods way too long, yet where to put them? It's so cold outside, but I also don't want 12 pots indoors! Yesterday, we started up our very own game of survivor starring our little plants. We put them in pots, left them outside during the night, and to not look negligent of our seedlings put a sheet over them...it got down to 50 degrees last night. A sheet. Ha! At least we will know that if any tomatoes/habanaro peppers/herbs come out of this that they are strong little guys! It will probably make us stronger eating them. To tell you the truth, we are looking at moving to an apartment that's only outdoor area is barely big enough to fit our grill with one of the arms taken off, so the majority of these plants may not make it anyway!
| Our gnarly seedlings |
| Hike to Rattlesnake Ledge |
| Hike to Little Si |
Things to look forward to this summer besides the weather getting above 50 degrees:
- We are going on an orca whale watching day trip for our first year anniversary :) To think all that happened a year ago is mind blowing! What a great year it has been.
- Tom will be in the wedding of our friends Jason and Caitlin in Burbank, California at the end of June/early July. The trip will be great to see them be married and will be my first time to California besides a layover!
- We will be moving more south to the northside of Seattle which will put us a little bit more in the action than where we are now in little ol' Lynnwood.
- I'm going to be doing a full circle type of experience by volunteering to be a nurse at the Muscular Dystrophy Association camp in July. Volunteering at MDA camp was the first place that put the seed in my head that I would like nursing!
- My parents are coming to visit at the end of July. AFTER that whole 5th of July thing, so hopefully I can show them the scenic part of this area and not the monsoon they visited last November.
- I'M GOING TO DAY SHIFT IN AUGUST! Let the dark circles under my eyes rejoice. I'll miss a lot about night shift including the pace and people, but will enjoy having a normal schedule and a bit more of an impact in my patient's plan of care. Also I will no longer have to be like this.
Hikes! A break from humidity! A good possibility of clear, cool, beautiful weather if you play your cards right, come after July 5th, and jump on one leg 9 times before you get on the plane. This could all be in your future if you come to visit this summer. As long as you don't make us feel bad for committing plant homicide. You are going to want to bring your cute little spaghetti strap tops and shorts...don't do it. You've been looking for a reason to break out those light jackets again, haven't you? So, go northWEST young people (and young people at heart)!
Just chhchhchhiiillliiiin' washINgton!
Are you going to the wedding in Burbank, i will be there around the same time for my best friends wedding.
ReplyDeleteCrazy! Yea, the wedding is in Burbank on July 1st.
ReplyDeleteSummer comes late, there is still hope :)
ReplyDelete