Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pintrest petulance and other less ranty things

Let me break my blog fast by commenting on the biggest threat to women like me since scrapbooking.  Women like me, meaning those of us who are NOT crafty and are NOT good with art supplies, but whom are very easily swayed by pretty pictures and easy sounding instructions.  Yes, that threat is PINTREST. 

I am a little bit more relaxed about this topic right now than I was a couple weeks ago as I was hours (HOURS) deep into a "one hour project."   In fact, that exact project has made me slow down even looking at the site.  I have now had some self reflection and WILL look at good recipes (the kitchen is much less intimidating than a craft room for me), I WILL look at cute home decor things that I can BUY (please someone stop me if I think I can reupholster things myself...it would cost me my sanity and probably years of my time), I WILL look at stylish clothes that I can BUY, but DIY/Crafts category GO AWAY!  I do not need your ideas that will put me in a spiraling several days of wanna-be craftiness that ends in mediocrity!

Thank you to all you people who ARE crafty. Obviously the world is lucky that all people are not alike.  DIYers are an inspiration to all, but, alas, I cannot compete.  Wanna do a math problem?  I'll do that sh$% all day without a bat of an eye.  Afterwards I will feel accomplished, valued even (oh mother, how I have become just like you).  But after I spend the whole day doing a craft I will look at it, see it only for what things didn't go right, and feed it to a stray cat.


Below is my cute-ish contact paper chevron wall that took nine times longer than the cute wall I saw on the tutorial (and I did, like, half the rows that she did).  NEVER AGAIN! 


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(ahem)

Otherwise, work is great for both Tom and I.  I have my crazy nights at work but I've almost come to expect that now (though I am wondering why mental health classes weren't required in EVERY semester of nursing school).  Tom is very close to having his MRB certification, meaning he will be on his own soon!  We are gearing up for a much needed getaway to Boston for Tom's brothers wedding!  Having now been in Washington for 8 MONTHS (crazy), we are in need of a little break from the state (though i'm still in love).  I can't wait to see the family, have some together time with Tom, and get our history on!


We've tried some pretty good recipes lately (one of which I think I may have found on pintrest, so I'll have to give credit to them for SOMETHING besides grief!).  Below are some examples!

Healthy
Boulanger Choka- a recipe from my friend Kristin who is a Peace Corp volunteer in Guyana, South American--roasted eggplant with sauteed garlic, onion, tomato that is meant to be eaten on choka (Guyanese bread described by Kristin as like naan but more flaky) but we ate it with pita bread.



Green monster shakes- Suggested by my friend Zoe--a vitamin RICH shake that tastes nothing like the main ingredient <spinach> and looks like kermit the frog vomit...in a good way
Green monsters in the mornan'

Greek turkey meatballs- I'm a sucker for anything with tzatziki sauce...yum

Dirty brown rice with shrimp- very good, could even have a bit more spice added



Mind-Blowingly Unhealthy

Caramel apple cheesecake pie- Ummmmm this was just amazing. AMAZING! (the one I found from pintrest I think?)

Chicago style deep dish pizza- Tom made this while I was sleeping before work so I'm not sure the recipe he used but it was DELICIOUS!


 I've seen some sunlight recently, so maybe you should come on up to Washington while the sun is hot (you know, 60 degrees)!  And, for heavens sake, expect good food but leave your hot glue gun and paint brush at home! Instead we can enjoy calculating the velocity at which we run away from craft stores or the amount of seconds we've spent wasting our time on diy projects!  So, go northWEST young people (and young people at heart)!

Embracing strengths and recognizing weaknesses washINgton!




No comments:

Post a Comment