Saturday, September 17, 2011

Things that make me smile

Although I haven't been blogging long, sometimes when I am experiencing things in real life I think about how I might blog about them.  Weird? Maybe. Only the things I have been wanting to blog about haven't been getting into blog form since I STARTED MY JOB!! FINALLY!! More about that later, but for now I will let you know some of the things in Washington that have been different than I am used to that make me smile in more ways than one. 

Obviously weather is the first. We came from summers of 90 degrees with horrible humidity to a part of the country that people are elated when it hits 80 degrees.  Humidity is just a mystical word here, with stepping outside and being covered in sweat within a minute a thing of fiction.  In fact, the big thing to hear on the radio when we got here (july 20th) was that the cumulative time it had been over 80 degrees this year was 70 minutes.  People always talk about the weather, but I guess where doesn't that happen?  In fact, I'll do it now: it's September and 55 degrees right now. Brr.

I have talked about the views before, but I will not get used to the mountains when they stick their little necks out of the clouds once in a while.  Tom and I tried our hand at being outdoorsy a couple weekends ago and went to Meadowdale Beach Park (where I blogged about wanting to go in a previous post).  We walked about 1.25 miles on a downhill trail to the beach from the parking lot area.  I do say "try to be outdoorsy" because we very obviously semi-failed that day.  For one, we were too sick of having our usual weekday packed lunch of turkey sandwiches, carrots, and bananas, so we got to-go Jack in the Box and ate it at a picnic table.  That was outdoorsy fail number one.  Although I had read about the steepness of the trail, I forgot to have us dress appropriately...so we wore flip flops. No one else there wore flip flops. Outdoorsy fail number two.  But the view at our destination overcame the two fails.  It was a relaxing and great way to spend a weekend afternoon (let's not talk about the rocky hike uphill in our shoes of choice).






Those were things that make me smile in a cozy way.  The next couple things make me smile in a funny way.

As I go through HR orientation for work I have encountered many breaks between speakers or presentations.  Every. One. Of. These. Breaks. Someone. Mentions. Coffee.  It isn't just a normal referral to coffee either, it is an over the top instruction on the fastest way a person could get a cup of coffee in the alloted break time.  The presenter will say: Ok we will take a 15 minutes break. If you go across the street and hurry you can get a coffee and come back.  Or: coffee is on the 3rd floor. Or: you can run across the street to the cafeteria to get coffee.  Seattle truly, truly is a coffee city. In addition to the big coffee companies such as Starbucks, Tully's Coffee, and Seattle's Best that originated here, there are hundreds of little barns that serve coffee on the side of the road everywhere.  Of course, some have a special draw beyond their espresso, but I won't go into that, unless you want to read about it. I love my coffee so I'm not complaining about the coffee obsession. I just find it funny that everyone has such a helpful stance on leading people to vendors.

Another thing I have noticed (which may happen other places besides Seattle, I just haven't seen it) is the compact parking spots.  In my experience, any compact spot I have seen here can fit a boat of a car with no problem. I can park my Mazda CX-7 in any compact spot...and so can Suburbans (see picture)?  Note to self: do not pay attention to "compact."

A Suburban IS rather compact now that I think of it...?

To end this post, I will bring up weather once more.  Do people complain about it? Yes.  But they also make fun of it. This is a billboard downtown.





How's that "Trip to Seattle" piggy bank filling up?  You can come here and teach us how to be outdoorsy!  We will be able to tell you every coffee shop around for your convenience (evidently, as a good citizen of this area should), and park in a compact spot with your semi-truck! 
So, GO northWEST YOUNG PEOPLE (and young people at heart)!

There are things that make me smile washINgton :)

1 comment:

  1. We'll be outdoorsy with you. We know of some really good hikes that are close, and we'll make sure you wear proper shoes. If we really want to be adventurous we could try to summit Mt. Si

    ReplyDelete